Friday, January 9, 2009

Airbrushing in Art

Rock Point has an entire art class specifically devoted to airbrushing... School staff would probably first think about the vandalism that could result in teaching the techniques that are also needed to be a good graffiti tagger. But hey, the kids love the form and the teacher is great at it. After removing the lockers from the school (because none of the students used them for anything beyond just being garbage receptacles), the teacher now has a bunch of canvas space for his own airbrush murals... and possibly also space for kids to display their work if they get good enough. For now, however, the advanced set of kids will be working car airbrushing and detailing in a new course offered this year. Personally, I think its a great idea and really tugs on the interest that many boys may have for art -- that is, decorating their wheels or even someone else's.

I got to start to trace/outline and shade my own canvas of Taz, the cartoon character and take it home as a memento of the last day's visit. I felt comfortable back in an art class: I think I've become too used to digital art renderings. I even joked with the teacher that my brain started thinking about and calculating the Photoshop settings that I would use for the strokes and found a disconnect with that information once I tried to put my physical, as oppsed to virtual, hand to the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment