Monday, January 5, 2009

In response to Emily....

I tried to write this as a comment to Emily's post but I can't seem to get the computer to let me. A lot of things are blocked by the school's wireless network.

Anyways, the following is supposed to be a response to Em's most recent post:

So even though we discussed this all already, I should have read yours prior to posting mine, because we overlapped a bit AND your post reminded me of a few things I wanted to talk about.

Yes, I noticed the first name basis too. Thought that was odd. I also noticed that in my junior high reading classroom, ALL of the text on the classroom decor was in English. I was surprised that it didn't integrate both English and Navajo. I know Navajo is focused upon in the lower elementary grades and English is stressed in the upper grades, but I would think they would get to a point where both are represented simultaneously? The only Navajo I saw was in the school's mission statement.

Also, my teacher said that they got a new SPED teacher recently and that some students were being pulled out because they were having a LOT of difficulty participating at all in the Read 180 program. Not sure why our information contradicts. Perhaps we're confused?"








Also, I forgot to mention that we met Terri Everett today. Terri is the Rock Point high school principal and was one of Mark's major contacts in organizing this trip. She stopped by our multipurpose room (where we are sleeping/living this week) and introduced herself and offered her assistance with anything we might need. She was really nice/friendly and I'm looking forward to talking more with her later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment