Thursday, January 8, 2009

Busy Thursday!!

Today, I felt really connected to some people in the school.

I talked with Branden and the junior high math teacher he had been observing for the week during their prep period 2nd period. We talked about the AIMS test, how the students have changed over the years, and the community being bilingual. I really respect what the teacher has to say – I saw his interview for the video last spring and I thought he had a lot of great things to say. I went and observed his math classes third and fifth period, and he asked me to introduce myself. He asked me some leading questions about Chicago in front of the class (“Tell them about the Sears Tower!” “What’s the Magnificent Mile like?”), and the students seemed very interested. It felt like a nice change compared to the high school kids, who put on this air a lot that they are too-cool-for-school.

Students worked in groups to complete worksheets on absolute value (third period) and scientific notation (fifth period). Branden and I walked around and worked with groups. I discovered THAT I LOVE MATH. It felt very rewarding because I knew the concepts very well, and I was able to explain it to the students in several ways. I think I really helped them out, and that was a great feeling. One student was very shy – it was clear that she was having trouble with the concept but had resorted to copying off a group members answers. I walked her through it a few times, and although she was hesitant, she completed the worksheet on her own!!

During passing periods, a student in the high school English class and who had invited me to the drumming practice stopped me in the hallway. He asked me to be in the English class on Friday to help him with his advertisement. I of course said I would be there (and felt so great! He wanted my help!).

The security guard whom Alyssa and I had met yesterday in the principal’s office called me out of a class and invited us all to the home economics room during lunch for Navajo tacos that his wife was making!!! I was so excited. AND THEY WERE DELICIOUS. It was really nice to share a meal with everyone. I felt very honored that they took the time to make us lunch. We agreed to go hiking up to Rock Point after school, and the security guard and his wife offered to make us mutton stew for dinner, which we gladly accepted.

The security guard’s wife, (awkward without using names), two of her boys, and a special education aide led us to Rock Point. There are two ways to get up – one involves climbing, the other involves a path. She led us up the climbing way (against the security’s guards prior advisement), and it was steep and crumbly that Emily and I stopped halfway up the climb, and Mark and Alyssa stopped a little further up. I’m sure Alyssa can explain better the verticalness of the rock we were expected to climb!!

The four of us walked around the rock while everyone else climbed on top. It was quickly getting dark and they were still up on the rock. Mark panicked (a little), and we met them back on the other side as they were climbing down. When we arrived, the security guard was there with his minivan and kids, and flashlights! He said he had seen our figures on top of Rock Point when the sun was getting lower and knew that he should come and help. He’s such a cool guy! He was really looking out for us. Everyone made it down okay, and we hiked back home.

Mark warned us about mutton stew and that it would taste gamey and bland – but I think most of us liked it! It was steamed corn and mutton chunks in a broth. The security guard and his wife brought four of their five kids – so it really felt like a family dinner.

Following dinner, we went to the boy’s open gym night (7-9 Tuesdays and Thursdays, girl’s open gym Mondays and Wednesdays at the same time! What a great idea to keep kids active and busy) and watched Branden and Adam play basketball with students and staff. It was fun and relaxing.

Tomorrow is our last day, and again, I can’t believe that the week has gone by so quickly. I feel like we just got here…

No comments:

Post a Comment