Saturday, January 3, 2009

Goodbye 2008, Hello Adventure

I regret not blogging last night, because now I have a LOT to say about what we did yesterday. You can see Adam's pictures and Robin's videos on other posts, so I guess I'll just add a little to that.

We began the day with plans to meet the executive director of Rock Point Community School, Carol, with a stop at Four Corners on the way. I had high hopes for this geographic landmark, since for whatever reason, it's been a dream of mine to stand in four states at once since I discovered at approximately age eight that it was possible for me to do so. Although Four Corners is not actually too big of a deal (evidently), I still thought it was pretty cool. I stood in four states at the same time! On one foot! Wow! So after a short visit to Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, and Arizona, we continued southwest to Rock Point...

...and we arrived forty-five minutes early, so Mark decided to show us one of his favorite past times from the years he spent there - rock climbing! (Those of you who know me know that I'm not much of an outdoorsy person. Eek.) Although Robin and I were hesitant, we forged onwards and upwards - way upwards. To the top of a mesa. A MESA. (Or the mesa is the top of the rock formation? Whatever.) Please see Robin's video for more detail. Although it was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life, I'm so glad that Alyssa talked us through the climb and I made it to the top. YAY! The view was amazing, and I was pretty proud of myself.

We finally met Carol a few minutes late (I think Mark had higher hopes for the speed of our climbing) and she showed us the school and where we'll be staying. I'll go into more detail on that when we arrive there tomorrow. (I. AM. EXCITED.)

Mark decided we should spend the afternoon at Canyon de Chelly (pronounced "Shay"), a short distance from Rock Point. Again, we saw some spectacular views, AND - get this - we went for a hike. That's right. I, Emily Larkin, climbed a rock formation and took a hike in the same day. And it was fabulous. And I liked it? I like the outdoors? Woah. Big steps, I know.

So what did I learn from our activities yesterday? Something really huge, actually. I took a couple risks, and they paid off. I'm not typically a risk taker. I worry and worry, so I calculate and formulate everything I do to minimize the risk involved. BUT. I decided that my New Year's Resolution is to start taking more risks. I'm about to embark on some completely new personal and professional experiences, and I have no idea where they're going to lead me. And that's okay? If I put a little on the line, I may receive a lot in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment