Saturday, January 3, 2009

ROCKin' out in the Southwest

Few postings the last few days from me, I know. Here are the briefs.

Thursday:
Driving through Mesa Verde National Park after an early hike in the area around Mark's house. The driving was thrilling (I have been to a lot of national parks, but was never able to truly enjoy the driving, having not been behind the wheel until now), but the timing of the visit to the mesa was just perfect. We took a tour down to see Spruce Tree House, a cave dwelling in one of the valleys. My companions were all very impressed with the area and our park ranger, but my biggest glee was realizing that we were there just in time for the perfect early-evening light spectrum. When I get the time, I will stop flurry-posting and get some of the photos organized so they match up with the posts here.

Friday:
Drive out to Rock Point School. Get there early and climb an overlook of the entire area! Spend the rest of the day driving through and hiking (a personal favorite) Canyon de Chelly.

Saturday: Realizing what I've learned already! This morning, on the way out to Monument Valley, I read through a short story that is on the pacing guide for the World Lit class I will be student teaching this Spring. With the knowledge from the sites that we have visited and the stories that Mark has relayed about American Indian culture, I can really contribute a lot to a discussion of "The Man to Send Rain Clouds", a story about the burial of an American Indian and the religious conflicts that result with the interest of a Catholic Friar. Sounds like a mouthful now, but with any luck I will be able to put together some pretty great background, if not a full lesson around the newly-acquired factoids.

Monument Valley, as I remembered that scene, was just spectacular. We faced some potentially hazardous and inhibiting weather on the way out, but the clouds cleared as we changed altitudes. The Valley, then covered with some light snowfall... gorgeous, especially on the way out, again in the beginning hours of sunset. So, one experience/sight can be scratched off the list. Seeing Monument Valley with some snow cover was just a really memorable way to spend my time out here.

Learning is on-track. More thought needed. Work will be abound (if it isn't already)!

No comments:

Post a Comment